Purchasing a new refrigerator is an important investment. Apart from ensuring the freshness of food, it is the focal point of your kitchen and the key appliance that no homeowner can do without. There are many features that a quality refrigerator has to possess, from superior functionality to appealing looks.
When you’re on the look out for a refrigerator that checks all the boxes, take a look at Sub-Zero and other refrigerator brands available in San Diego’s appliance stores. Also, set yourself up for success by reading our expert tips on what to watch out for when selecting a refrigerator.
What should I look for when buying a refrigerator?
Out of the 12 kitchen appliances you really need, the refrigerator must be at top of the list. Before you set out to purchase a new one, gear yourself up for the challenge. Find out what characteristics you should consider when you’re picking out your refrigerator:
- Capacity: The size of your refrigerator should match the size of your family. The more people in the house, the larger its capacity should be. While a one-member household will do just fine with a 50 to 100-liter refrigerator, a family of 5 will need 320 to 350 liters.
- Number of doors: Single-door refrigerators are suitable for small households. Double-door refrigerators, with different compartments for fresh and frozen food, are a better choice for larger families. Refrigerators with side-by-side or multiple doors, typically with a capacity of up to 800 L, are best for families of five or more.
- Freezer position: Freezers can either be on top or on the bottom of the other food compartments. Top-mounted freezers are the most frequent and energy-efficient option while freezers positioned on the bottom make the most-used part of the refrigerator more accessible.
- Defrost type: A refrigerator can either be defrosted manually or automatically. Manual defrosting has been used for a longer time and it’s a cheaper option. On the other hand, auto defrost refrigerators, also called frost-free, automate this process, which simplifies their maintenance.
- Energy consumption: Look for 5-star energy ratings, which reduce your consumption of electricity. Such appliances will help you save money in the long run. To cut your energy expenses further, use your refrigerator responsibly by not keeping the door open for long.
- Finish: Nowadays there is a wide range of finish options, which can suit any style and taste. Consider what appliance finish is simplest to keep clean as well as what style appeals to you the most.
- Noise: Don’t forget that refrigerators have to work constantly and you need to be comfortable with the level of noise they’re making. While most modern refrigerators aren’t too loud, there are some extra-quiet options to consider if this is something you’re sensitive to.
- Price: There is a wide variety of refrigerator prices that can fit any budget. In general, a smaller-sized, single-door refrigerator is a more affordable option than a side-by-side one with many additional features.
- Extra features: Extras, such as a water dispenser, touch screens, or various drawer options, all add to the price of the refrigerator. Research the different add-on possibilities and carefully decide which ones you truly need.
Where can I find the best Sub-Zero refrigerator and a selection of other brands in San Diego?
If you’re redesigning your kitchen and searching for a new refrigerator to complete it, you can check out the extensive selection of Sub-Zero and other refrigerator brands at Lars Appliances. Get premium functionality and elevate the look of your home in Normal Heights with the assistance of our friendly experts.
Throw out your old, unreliable refrigerator and eliminate the risk of food poisoning. We’ll be happy to hear you out and help you make the right choice. Durability, great looks, and premium features – your refrigerator will hit all the marks. You’ll be thrilled with your purchase!